A delicious, rich, nutritious and healthy banana bread recipe that you, your family and friends will absolutely love!
Who doesn't like chocolate, peanut butter and bananas? Who doesn't like a simple one bowl/blender recipe that can be made gluten free and vegan?If you don't, I'm so sorry, but this post is not for you (seriously who doesn't ?!)
We all know the classic banana bread and love it! As it is a perfect healthy snack for you and your family! It is nutritious, low in calories and HEALTHY! That is what it is all about right? Having a responsible, nutritious and guilt-free snack that tastes amazing! As the classic banana bread started to bore me a little bit, I wanted to make a variation of this classic snack by adding in some of my favourite foods, chocolate and peanut butter. I have to say, it turned out very well......
This is just a one bowl/blender recipe with everyday, simple ingredients! On top of that, it is gluten free, refined sugar free and it can be veganized (is that a word?). The main ingredients are peanut butter, banana and chocolate which will give it a rich and creamy taste.
Seriously, what more could you ask for in a delicious, healthy and nutritious snack? I absolutely love this bread as it is wholesome, contains chocolate, naturally sweetened, easy to make, perfect as a snack or even for breakfast and can be easily 'snack' prepped and stored in the freezer!
Make this for your friends, significant others, family or for a kids party! It will be loved and enjoyed by everyone!
Here's to healthy snacks! Proost! (Dutch for cheers)!
- 3 ripe bananas (mashed)
- 1 egg (sub for 1 flax egg to make it vegan proof)
- Pinch of (sea) salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter or any other nut butter
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 5 tbsp agave syrup (depending on how sweet you want it and how ripe your bananas are)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (any other non-dairy milk will do)
- 1/2 unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 cup of gluten free oats
- 1 cup of almond meal (oat meal will do too)
- 1 cup of teff flour (or any gluten free flour)
- 1/4 cup of (80%) cacao chocolate chips
- OPTIONAL: some extra oats and chocolate chips to decorate
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees and grease a loaf pan or brownie tin with a bit of coconut oil or use parchment paper.
- VEGAN VERSION: prepare the flax egg in a large mixing bowl or your blender and let it rest for some minutes.
- NON-VEGAN VERSION: add the egg to a large mixing bowl or your blender en whisk slowly.
- Mash the bananas in the same mixing bowl or blender and whisk until combined.
- Add the (sea) salt, baking powder, peanut butter, coconut oil, agave syrup and unsweetened almond milk to the bowl and whisk or blend on medium speed until everything is well combined.
- Add the cacao powder, gluten free oats, almond meal and teff flour bit by bit to the batter and slowly mix until everything is combined.
- Finally, stir in the chocolate chips
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan or brownie tin and bake for about 60 minutes. The bread is ready when you pierce the bread with a wooden skewer and no batter is on the skewer anymore.
- Let the bread cool completely before cutting it in pieces (about 1-2 hours)
- Store in a covered tupperware in the refrigerator for several days or freeze separate slices in zip-locks for longer storage.