Today it was time for healthy budget recipe number 2! A pesto, chicken veggie pasta which was absolutely delicious! I love the taste of the zucchini noodles with pesto. Plus it is ready in no time, as you will see below where I posted the recipe. Normally, I like to make the pesto myself just a big batch that I can store in the fridge and take out whenever I want or need it for my pasta, sandwich or salad. However as pine nuts are not really budget proof, I used the pesto of Albert Heijn's own brand which is a very good replacement if you ask me!
So why zucchini noodles in stead of pasta? Zucchini is low in calories and carbs but very high in for example potassium. I used zucchini noodles for this recipe since I normally consume all my carbs during breakfast and lunch and therefore have a low carb dinner. This is just what suits my lifestyle and makes my body feel good. If you need more carbs or normally have a higher carb meal in the evening, I recommend you to substitute the zucchini noodles for whole wheat pasta as we definitely need carbs for our body.
Let's talk a bit about pesto sauce! In general green pesto consists of olive oil, basil, pine nuts and parmesan cheese. Which would be a good addition to any healthy diet. While pesto is quite high in calories and fat, pesto also offers a great source of nutrients for your body. So like everything, when enjoyed in moderation, it is good for you! Besides, doesn't pesto make everything better? It is just so damn tasty and delicious!
Prep time: 10 min, Cooking time: 5 minutes, Total time: 15 minutes
- 190g chicken (in cubes)
- 2 zucchini's spiralized (about 350g)
- 5 tbsp pesto
- 1/2 red pepper (in cubes)
- 1/2 yellow pepper (in cubes)
- 1 shallot (in small pieces)
- 1 garlic clove
- Pepper, cayenne pepper and salt to taste
1. Spiralize the zucchini, chop all veggies and the chicken (watch your hygiene!).
2. Place the zucchini noodles in a bowl with hot water and let them soak for about 2 minutes
3. Season the chicken with pepper, pinch of salt and cayenne pepper
4. In a cooking pan, heat some olive oil and sauté the shallots and garlic for about 2 minutes then add in the chicken cubes and sauté until they are done
5. Add in the red and yellow peppers (chopped in cubes) and sauté for another 2-3 minutes
6. Add in the zoodles and pesto and sauté for another 3-4 minutes
7. Ready to eat!
Hope you enjoy this recipe foodies!! Let me know what you think!
Love, Nienke (Healthyfoodiefood)