I have found my perfect snack with some of my favorite ingredients, chocolate and peanut butter! THE perfect combo if you ask me, who's with me?! Add in a little bit of amaranth and rice cake and you have yourself a perfect snack for the whole week that's whipped up in less than 10 minutes (plus some fridge time).
This one passed the test completely, as these little peanut butter chocolate squares/bars/bark were gone in minutes. My boyfriend (or fiance now!) liked them very much as well as his brother! So if they are approved
by these two dessert kings, they must be good! That's why I want to share this easy tasty recipe with you.
With only 4 ingredients, this is an easy peasy recipe to quickly whip up when you don't have any time to meal prep your usual banana bread, granola bars or something similar! The good thing about this recipe is that variations are endless, if you don't have any amaranth on hand, swap it for chia seeds, hemp seeds, bee pollen, (soaked) oats or any other good you like.
I used amaranth for these tasty bars because it is a quite cheap ingredient as well as that it has loads of great properties. Before I came to Mexico, I did not know that much about amaranth. But here, they sell it as a snack in the supermarkets, street vendors sell chocolate or honey amaranth bars everywhere around here. It is a traditional Mexican candy which is absolutely great! Did you know that amaranth is gluten free? I didn't! Amaranth has a light nutty taste, which I absolutely love!
1 cup of amaranth contains about 28 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber loads of magnesium and even calcium, more than oats! Here's a fun fact: In Mexico, a bon-bon of sorts is made from popped amaranth mixed with sugar or honey, and called "dulce de alegria" or “sweet delight." They're formed into little skull-like confections and distributed during the Mexican "Día de Muertos" or "Day of the Dead" celebration in certain places (see picture below).
Prep time: 10 minutes, Cool time: 2 hours, Total time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Serves: 16 small bars / squares
- 400g melted chocolate (80% cacao)
- 1 cup melted peanut butter (home made)
- 1 1/2 cup amaranth
- 3 cups rice cake (broken into small pieces)
1. Melt the chocolate and peanut butter in separate bowls, au-bain-marie. You can also do it in a microwave if you want but I am not a huge fan of the microwave.
2. Break the rice cake into pieces and mix with the amaranth in a square baking thin.
3. Pour over the melted chocolate first and make a swirl with the melted peanut butter. Place this in the fridge for about 2 hours and it's ready to eat. Store in an air tight container.