Last Friday was my 27th birthday! 27 already, time goes fast but I am still young! Read this post for a flashback on the past 365 days! The funny thing is, that the day before (the 9th of March) it's my boyfriend's birthday. So we always have 2 days of celebrations in a row! That's why I had a good reason to make a special healthy cake! This cake has a super tasty crust with as main ingredient, oats! It's naturally sweetened with honey and therefore refined sugar free. Substitute the eggs for flax eggs and you have a vegan birthday cake!
The chocolaty creamy inside is THE BEST! It is so creamy and tasty, writing about this makes me want to eat another piece of this tasty cake! Topped with blueberries and pistachios for an extra bite, gave it the finishing touch! Because it was our birthdays, I topped the cake with some extra vegan chocolate on top (just mix some coconut oil with cacao powder!).
This cake is made in less than 30 minutes plus some cooling time. So make it one day before and you have yourself a perfect birthday cake or desserts that will be loved by kids as well as adults. But especially by chocolate lovers and O might I just be one of those chocolate lovers!
It is healthy, but not recommended to have a piece as your healthy snack every day! Enjoy this with moderation (unfortunately). I was planning on posting this recipe already during the weekend. But as my birthday was on Friday, we went out for dinner and drinks with friends which was loads of fun of course! However, the 27 year old version of me can not handle that much alcohol anymore and therefore the day after was the worst. Loads of coconut waters and pineapple for the recovery. Ok, and in the evening a well needed guacamole burger! But it was all worth it, our birthdays were celebrated good with friends and family that we love!
Prep time: 20 minutes, Oven Time: 10 minutes, Cool time: 2 hours, Total time: 2 hours 3 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs (can sub for flax eggs)
- 1 can coconut milk (chilled overnight)
- 1 cup 80% cacao chocolate
1. Refrigerate the coconut cream overnight. This is an important step as the coconut milk needs to be solid.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (C). In a large bowl, combine the oatflour, cacao powder, baking powder, honey, vanilla and eggs. Mix until well combined.
3. Grease a tart pan with some coconut oil and press the crust on the bottom and side of the pan. Place the crust for about 10 -15 minutes in the oven.
4. Let the crust cool down and in the meantime, start to make the filling. Heat a small sauce pan over medium heat and add in the chocolate plus the solid part of the coconut milk (use the liquid part for a smoothie or something else). Whisk until the chocolate has completely melted.
5. Pour the chocolate ganache into the cooled down crust and refrigerate it for at least 2 hours.
6. Store in the fridge.
- This cake was topped with pistachio and blueberries but it will go well with almost every fruit or nut!
- Honey can be replaced by coconut blossom sugar (in same measurements)
Like this recipe? Please comment below or send me a message!
Love, Nienke (Healthyfoodiefood)