Gluten free recipe number 2! Made with almond flour, lemon and yoghurt plus sweetened with honey! Super tasty and healthy cupcakes to make for your easter brunch or just to have as a snack during the week. You whip these tasty little cakes up in less then 10 minutes plus some oven time.
The combination of lemon and yoghurt makes these little cakes very fresh and tasty! The perfect spring/summer snack if you ask me! Plus great for your easter inspired snack of course! The almond flour gives these cakes a great nutty taste.
When I started to think about gluten free baking I was at first worried that it would be difficult for me to create gluten free recipes. However, I soon found out that most of the baking and cooking I do is already gluten free naturally as I just was not focused on eating gluten free. Which made this so much easier. As I already prefer to cook or bake with almond or coconut flour rather than whole wheat or all purpose flour. Which made this challenge so much easier for me!
The recipe for these cakes or muffins/cupcakes however you want to call them, forms a great basic recipe for any cake. Simply leave out the lemon and you have your basic healthy vanilla cake recipe. Stir in some blueberries, strawberries or chocolate chips for more texture and a different taste. Simply create your own cake party by adding the flavours you like most! The great thing about these small cakes is that you can decide to create a few fruity, a few chocolaty and a few basic to mix the cakes that you make in the same batch!
I whipped these up in between work. Every week I work/study one day at home so I can create and photograph some recipes for Healthyfoodiefood and do the work that needs to be done in silence or the studying that needs to be done. These ones are just great to whip up as it requires minimal amount of utilities and minimal amount of preparation. The longest time is the waiting time in which you can continue your work or other activities.
I also have the luck (or luxury) that in Mexico in general most people have a maid that does the household (washing, cleaning and sometimes even cooking!). So this makes the cleaning up part a lot easier and faster for me and I consider myself very lucky to have this. As in The Netherlands after a cooking day for the blog, I remember that I really hated the cleaning up part. As I already wanted to take pictures or start writing.
Enough chit chat, below you can find the recipe of these tasty and healthy cakes!
Prep time: 10 minutes, Oven time: 30 minutes, Total time: 40 minutes
Serves: 15-20 mini cakes or 1 big cake
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup collagen/protein powder (OPTIONAL)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup greek yoghurt
- 1 lemon (juice + zest)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees (C) and grease a muffin tray or use cupcake 'papers'
2. In one bowl combine all the dry ingredients and (almond flour, collagen/protein powder and baking powder) mix well
3. In another bowl, mix together all wet ingredients (honey, coconut oil, greek yoghurt, lemon juice plus zest, vanilla and the eggs). Make sure that you beat in the eggs one at a time and mix until everything is well combined.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir this until everything is well combined. If you want to add some fruits or chocolate chips, you can now stir them in gently.
5. Use a spoon to place the batter in the muffin tray or papers and bake them for about 30 minutes in the pre heated oven.
6. Store them in an airtight container in the freezer or fridge! ENJOY!
Any other toppings or add ins that you like and I didn't mention? Or do you use a different kind of flour? Let me know by commenting below!
Love, Nienke (Healthyfoodiefood)