These gluten free brownie squares are super duper tasty! Besides that they are gluten free they are also refined sugar free and free of lactose! These brownies were a big hit, gone in seconds and loved by everyone (young and old!). The perfect birthday or sweet party snack if you ask me. These ones are super moist and fudgy plus the chocolate swirl on top makes them even chewy!
Do I need to say more? The gluten free star of this recipe? Buckwheat flour which is just a little more affordable than almond flour. I brought these brownies to a birthday party last week and it was a big success. They loved them not even knowing that it was a healthy version of the brownie (ok besides the Nutella that I putted in that one!). I mean for a birthday you can make it a little more special right? After that, I created another version without the Nutella and this one will be shared with you here.
As I am from The Netherlands and living in Mexico now, I always get the cliche question regarding weed. Ah Netherlands, Amsterdam, Weed! Those are the first things that pop into their mind regarding The Netherlands. Also other things obviously they say they all love The Netherlands and its people plus the foods, especially stroopwafels! At the birthday it was the same of course. People were asking if these brownies contained any green products, 'are these special brownies'? Which of course was not the case! It's funny how we always have these cliche images in our head of every country or culture! This obviously also goes for me and everyone else.
We unfortunately all think in cliches even tough we try not to maybe. It is ok to think in cliches as long as you do not judge a person or country by those cliches and first get to know them before there is a final judgement. If we would all try to do that the world would be a happier place!
Prep time: 10 minutes, Oven time: 20 minutes, Total time: 30 minutes
Serves: 12 big squares or 18 small squares
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2/3 cup raw cacao
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 3/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped chocolate (at least 70%)
- 1 cup melted chocolate
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees (C) and grease a brownie tin with coconut oil.
2. In one bowl mix together the dry ingredients (buckwheat flour, raw cacao, baking powder and sea salt) until well mixed.
3. In another bowl mix together the wet ingredients. First the coconut oil and honey/maple until well combined than add in the eggs one by one while mixing the batter good. Finally, add in the vanilla extract and make sure that everything is mixed very well and combined.
4. Pour the 'wet' batter into the 'dry' batter and mix with a spatula until everything is well combined.
5. Chop the chocolate into small pieces and fold this into the mixture. Make sure not to stir too much.
6. For the swirl, melt one cup of chocolate together with the coconut oil until completely melted. Let this cool down a little bit.
7. Add the brownie batter to the baking tin and divide evenly. Add in the melted chocolate and coconut oil on top by pouring it carefully on top of the batter. Try to make swirls with a toothpick.
8. Place the brownies in the oven for about 20 minutes. The toothpick should come out dirty to keep the brownies moist and chewy. Let the brownie cool down in the baking thin.
9. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
What is your favorite brownie recipe? Did you try to make mine? Let me know by commenting below!
Love, Nienke (Healthyfoodiefood)